Full Ground Floor Renovation
Updated: Jun 20, 2019
Modernising a ground floor of a 5 bedroom semi detached house. The Client has already worked on the first and second floor to a high specification and the ground floor was the final personal touch to the property. There was already an extension area for the dining room which the previous owners had done so our brief was to knock through, opening up the kitchen/diner area. Creating a new living space whilst keeping the lounge at the front of the house as a separate room. Existing Velux windows were removed and openings made larger to bring in extra light. New bi folds with gable end glass and a bi fold window in the kitchen giving a great sense of space and light. A lot of steel work and re modelling was required to complete this beautiful project.
Kitchen supplied and fitted by Hawks kitchens and Bathrooms. We worked along side them and put all the electrics and plumbing in place ready for their fitter.
K Render finish at the back and side passageway of the property
The large bi fold kitchen window required a box steel frame to support it, the existing back door was removed and the brickwork was built up to create the opening for the window. A steel was put in place for the bi fold doors. Internal steels and pad stones built for the supporting wall we removed.
Once boarded and plastered, the rooms were finally taking shape. Client used their own decorator for this project which we liaised with in terms of timing and with careful project management we managed to finish 2 weeks early in time for the Easter Holidays. The project took 4 months in total.
The hallway, Utility Room and front Lounge also had a full makeover.
Under floor water fed heating was installed throughout, therefore the whole area had to be cleared and client lived upstairs throughout the renovation. All the original flooring was removed apart from the existing kitchen area which was concrete. The suspended floor was insulated and old joists replaced where necessary with new ply base throughout, level with the joists as not to raise the floor height too much. This pipework usually gets chased into new screed, our alternative here was to install specific cement boards in which they use the same method. A lot of preparation work needed but well worth it.
The final flooring was then installed over the system once levelled. The kitchen and utility room had a tile finish to break it up.
Original layout photos below.